Friday, March 8, 2013

Pumpkin Muffins: Minimal sugar or Maximum sugar


I have been on a kick for these muffins.  Too busy making them to post them.  Seriously, I have made several batches.  I gave up sugar about three or four weeks ago.  I still have it in my coffee or tea and a hard candy here and there but no desserts, except for special occasions.  And you know what?  Its been wonderful.  I feel better.  I do not have an insatiable hunger all day.  Its like the monkey on my back has relocated somewhere else.  Hopefully to a tree and not to another person.

These muffins are great in the morning but sometimes I eat them when I want something sweet.  By people who eat sugar all the time, these muffins are not sweet. But if you do not eat sugar very much, these are perfect.

I had some pumpkin left over and decided to make my kids the souped up sugar kind.  I had a bite, while it is wonderful, to me it was cloyingly sweet.  To them, it was perfect.

Lots 'o' sugar or low sugar, your choice.  Both recipes are fabulous!

Pumpkin Muffins
Adapted from this recipe from the Tomato Head Blog

1 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs
½ cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon molasses
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons crushed flax seed
¾ cup all purpose flour
¾ cup white wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda

In a large bowl whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, oil, molasses, salt, spices, and milk.    In another bowl whisk together the flours, flax seeds, baking powder and baking soda.   Add all at once the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently until all the ingredients are well combined. (do not over mix)  Let the batter sit, covered at room temperature for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator*.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Scoop the batter into greased or paper lined muffin cups.  Bake the muffins for 20 – 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove the muffins from the tin and allow them to cool.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes about 12 muffins. About 140 calories per muffin.

* I don't always do this.  I dont think it is totally necessary.


PUMPKIN BREAD
Adapted from Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread at Allrecipes

1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 8.5 x 4 x 2.5 inch loaf pans. In a large with an electric mixer, combine pumpkin, eggs, oil, water, and sugar until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour batter into the prepared pans.

Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.



2 comments:

chow and chatter said...

love these anything pumpkin

grace said...

pumpkin in march? i don't mind at all. :)